Headlines
Published On:11 February 2012
Posted by Indian Muslim Observer

TNTJ plans protests over Muslim quota across Tamil Nadu

IMO News Service


Chennai: The Tamil Nadu Thowheed Jamaath (TNTJ) has expressed its intention to organise demonstrations in all district headquarters across Tamil Nadu. The TNTJ will be holding the protests demanding 10 percent reservation for Muslims in education and employment opportunities in the Union Government and 7 percent reservation in the State.


M.A. Fakkir Mohamed Altafi, member of TNTJ's Administrative Committee, while addressing a press conference recently said that the Committees headed by Justice Rajindar Sachar and Justice Ranganath Misra, which conducted extensive probe on the living conditions and social status of the Muslims across the country, had recommended to the Union Government that 10 percent reservation in education and employment opportunities should be given to uplift the community. The recommendations were susequently tabled in the Parliament for its approval.
Going a step ahead even Justice Ranganath Misra Committee recommended that the Union Government should give 15 per cent reservation to the Minorities and 10 percent reservation for Muslims within this reservation.


"The Congress Party, which came to power two times successively, had promised in its manifesto that the party would give a 10 percent reservation to the Muslims if was voted to power. However, the ruling Congress, which was yet to take any step in this connection, had promised in its manifesto for the Uttar Pradesh Assembly polls that it would give 4.50 percent reservation for minorities, “which is nothing but cheating the Muslims,” said Mr. Altafi.


He further said, "Since the Christians had expressed their unwillingness to utilise the 3.5 percent reservation given to them in Tamil Nadu by the previous Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam government, the surrendered 3.5 percent could also be given to the Muslims to take the total quantum of reservation to 7 percent in the State. The TNTJ had already conducted a conference at Island Grounds in Chennai on July 4, 2009. It has decided to take this decision forward and will organise demonstrations in all district headquarters across Tamil Nadu.”


The press conference was attended by other TNTJ office-bearers, including Yousuf Ali, Syed Ali and ‘National' Shahul.

About the Author

Posted by Indian Muslim Observer on February 11, 2012. Filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Feel free to leave a response

By Indian Muslim Observer on February 11, 2012. Filed under , , . Follow any responses to the RSS 2.0. Leave a response

0 comments for "TNTJ plans protests over Muslim quota across Tamil Nadu"

Leave a reply

Editor's Pick

SPECIAL REPORT: Indian religious leaders strongly protest against South Korean government hounding of Shincheonji Church despite cooperation to contain COVID-19 spread

By Danish Ahmad Khan The government of South Korea is pursuing a discriminatory policy towards Shincheonji Church while accusing it of COVI...

IMO Search Finder

Subscribe IMO

    Archive